Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

How to be vegetarian

OK - so, I might be using Lent to experiment with vegetarianism. Sue me.

It's been almost a week since I've eaten any kind of meat, including seafood and I really don't miss it (yet! I have 4 weeks to go). Albeit, I'm not a compulsive meatatarian - I enjoy the occasional steak and find nothing wrong with the taste of a juicy chicken. So what's with all the hype? And why are yoga practitioners and so many sexy celebrities almost always vegetarian??

I think it's a little crazy and unfair to be completely polarized on this topic. There are obvious benefits to eating more vegetables and easily absorbed plant based proteins. However, lean meats are not the devil; they are equally or more nutritious and protein-rich, but sometimes they are harder to digest. And most commonly meat doesn't come in a very "clean" form; so it's easy to eat crap when eating meat. That is all. In my opinion - regardless of what we eat, it just needs to be balanced.

That being said. I have been working out just as hard- if not more. My next race is coming up on March 16th for the Dubai Autodrome 10k and I'll be under a completely veggie diet - let's see how much of a difference it makes! I think cutting out the weekend shisha with friends is probably gonna be more beneficial.



No comments:

Post a Comment