Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

How to get ur hair did.

I have honestly been avoiding this day since I got here. It's been around 2 and a half months since my hair has seen a hair salon. I've been going to Mark's Salon in Westdale (Hamilton) for the past 3 years! I miss my Zohan-look alike-balding-palestenian middle aged hair saviour.  Mark - this one's for u. 


How to find a hair dresser/ "The One":
  • Every other building has atleast two "Ladies Hair Saloon" with fully tinted bay windows
    • What is "Saloon"? it's Salon misspelt - everytime. 
    • Why only Ladies? Because it's taboo for men and women to cut their hair at the same place (I think this is consistent with Canada for the most part)
    • Why fully tinted? Because it's taboo for men to peer inside (I can appreciate that)
  • There are five "saloons" within a 2 minute radius from my home - So I shopped 
    • My criteria included hygiene, modern equipment, quality hair products and a hair dresser with some sort of skill or atleast good hair.
    • I have thick wavy hair that can't be tamed easily - so some good irons will be necessary.
Salon #1
- A well dressed hair dresser in all black sporting bangs and shoulder length light hair with highlights - approved
- A good selection of hair colours and great customer service - approved
- 800 Dhs = 220.680627 Canadian dollars . wtf?
- I used to pay $75 for a root touch up and maybe $125 for full colour. max!
-SO i told the lady to go jump in a mine  that I'd make an appointment when I get home and clear my schedule.

Salon #2- Platinum blonde philipina with a pixie hair-do greets me at the door (Cool I guess, but was that an accident? i'm nervous) "hi maam, how u like?"
-"umm hi, can I see your hair colours and prices?"
- She had a selection of literally 10 hair colours and said it would cost me 400 dhs plus 150 for a colour wash. That's 110 dollars plus 40 bucks.
- "150 for the colour, what's the 400 for?"
- "Hair dressing maam"
-
I pretty much grunted and walked out with the same line as Salon#1

Salon #3- FIVE philipinas greet me at the door and immediately seat me in front of a mirror - This is too overwhelming. "Hi maam, sit ma'am, what u have ma'am?"
-
"Just a moment to breathe"
-Then this lady from inside a random little room peers out and says " you lookalike u hab thee dry hair ma-damn and also berry long... this will take atleast eight to ten bottles ma-damn"
-
Thanks for dissing my hair before even saying hello. "How much?"
-"800 dirhams madam"
- "DIE"  "Thank you"

Salon #friggin4
- ONE lady greets me at the desk, nice hair, smiley .. finally! could this be the one!?
- The customer in the chair getting her hair done had great hair
- Good selection of colours and I didn't need an appointment.
- I almost settle before even asking her the price. (which turned out to be 500dhs flat)
- So she pretty much mixed the colour, got someone to apply it and someone else to wash and blow dry.
- 40 minutes later "Madam would you like ur hair blow dried straight or curled in?"
-
" Just straight with some volume would be great thanks"
- "no problem ma'am"
-
She blow dried my hair painfully ANDDD 30 minutes later.. I look like I'm going to prom.




Why was the salon called "Lemoni"?? .. I don't know. 
Great service but i'm not entirely sure if this "The One" yet

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment